LOCAL PROGRAMMES 2017
There are no workshops planned for the 2017 spring and summer seasons. Chapter members, visitors, and guests are invited to bring samples of work to meetings and to suggest topics for future workshops.
Alberta North chapter members are currently working on a collaborative book project as well as a Canadian-themed book exchange challenge. The group project is titled BOUND TOGETHER; a collection of 36 lino prints by 12 artists. The annual book exchange celebrates Canada 150. Members are invited to create any book form, the only criteria being content based on the theme. The exchange will take place in November.
LOCAL PROGRAMMES 2016
Bookbinding Classes in Edmonton, Winter 2016
offered by Rena Whistance-Smith
“I am proposing to teach the following bookbinding classes from January to May 2016. Because many of these classes were not taught last winter. Some of you will be renewing an interest in the craft of hand bookbinding while others are eager to progress from the fall classes. If the dates fit your schedule please respond with your registration and get your name on the class list. I do keep a waiting list if interest exceeds my class size of 7. I look forward to seeing you in the studio this winter.
Workshops will be offered at my studio in my home in Laurier Heights community of Edmonton. Workshop fees are payable to the instructor by cheque or cash (no credit cards) when registering or at the class but I will not cash cheques until the class has been held. I have tried to be considerate of emergencies or unavoidable reasons for students to cancel out of a class at the last moment. I often do have a waiting list so a spot can be filled but a partial fee may be charged for a last-minute cancellation.
Tool kits will be available for use during class and some tools can be purchased from the instructor. The class fee includes materials unless otherwise stated. Confirmation of the class running will be sent at least 3 days prior to the scheduled class dates. I should also mention that I have a cat so if allergies are a consideration, be aware that she is around although she will be kept away from the studio worktable.”
Saturday, January 23 ( 9:30 am to 5 pm)
Course fee: $60.00 includes materials
Introductory information and techniques that are prerequisites for further levels of instruction
• tools, materials and bench fundamentals
• pamphlets – 3, 5-hole sewing and link sewing
• blank Coptic Journal (non-adhesive) with heavy textured paper
ORIENTAL SIDE-SEWN JOURNAL
February 20 (9:30 am to 5 pm)
Course fee: $65.00 includes materials
Prerequisite: Bookbinding Basics or permission of instructor
• introduction to adhesives
• making a pad of single paper sheets
• construction of book board covers half bound with cloth and decorative paper
• assembly of book with visible sewing through all thicknesses
SIMPLIFIED 3-PIECE CASE BINDING
March 4 & 5 (Friday: 7-9 pm & Saturday: 9:30-5 pm)
Course fee: $90:00 includes materials
Prerequisite: Bookbinding Basics & Oriental Side-Sewn or permission of instructor
• multi-section text block sewn on tapes with attached endbands, simple fly leaf attached
• 3-piece book board case fitted to text and finished with cloth and paper (1/2 bound)
I am proposing to teach a couple of new classes this coming spring depending on interest and if I am still at my house and have use of the studio. As I may be moving, that will determine the feasibility of offering some new challenges to students who have completed the Case binding and box classes. These classes will be offered first to CBBAG members who have pursued their skill in the craft of hand bookbinding. Students who have completed traditional structures, such as case half bound, will be challenged with new sewing and covering techniques. Spring seems quite a while in the future but I also know that time moves very quickly.
April 9 (9:30 am to 5 pm)
Course fee: $70.00 (materials fee of $15.00 may be charged)
Prerequisite: Functional Boxes or permission of instructor
• construct a nesting 2-box enclosure in a folding case of book board that holds a small to medium sized book (brought to class by student), box will be covered in paper and/or cloth
LIMP VELLUM BINDING
Part 1: April 30 Part 2: May 7 or 14
Part 1 (structure and heavy paper cover)
Part 2 ( structure and vellum cover)
Course fee: Approximately $75.00 per date with a materials fee for vellum.
Prerequisite: Case binding or other advanced structure and experience
• packed sewing of blank signatures incorporating end bands
• fitted cover of suitable paper or vellum. The finished book will be approximately 3.5”x 5”
NB: Class size may be limited to 5 depending on availability of materials
Register for any classes you are interested in by email and I will start class lists. Dates have been set by the instructor to work around prior commitments but there may be some flexibility if you express a preferred date and it is agreeable with other registrants.
• CBBAG runs workshops and courses on a wide variety of topics in the Toronto CBBAG bindery. Courses are announced twice annually (May and November) and are posted on the national website.
• core curriculum consists of Bookbinding I, II, and III, Finishing, Restoration and Repair, and Paper Treatment for Binders, and introduces the basics of hand bookbinding and the fundamentals of book repair. All are available in-studio and all but Paper Treatments for Binders are available through Home Study
Home Study Programme
• videotaped instruction supported by detailed manuals is used to teach bookbinding techniques
• two streams are available: Resource and Reference for independent study and Monitoring, in which specialized projects are submitted for critique
• available in VHS or DVD